JobFishing Forum Index JobFishing
JobFishing - mentoring and assisting South African JobSeekers to maximise their chances of finding gainful and exciting employment. This is a free service. Join up now, no hidden costs or obligations.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I NEED ADVICE

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    JobFishing Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lhd

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: I NEED ADVICE Reply with quote

i have no formal education , having left school at the tender age of 16 to join the army , i am now 32 and find myself in the jobmarket .

i worked as a restuarant manager three different restuarants , but the same chain . junior and senior management . was a credit controler assistant manager and then floor manager for a major retail jewellery store . but the last five years have sort of been tossing between a music career and au pairing . i never had the joy of a stable enviroment where i could focus on one career .

now i would like to enter the job market in sales where i can either focus on external sales in the restuarant or music industry . i have transport , cell etc. and through investments am financially stable .

i have never had the pleasure of sending out a c.v. or going to interviews . and if i had to send my c.v. out it covers so many topics that it looks like i just rollercoaster betweeen professions .

i have always started at the bottom and with my willingness and drive end up working my way to the top
Lloyd
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I need advice Reply with quote

Hello lhd

It sounds to me like sales is an excellent field for you to get into, on condition you have a sales personality.

The reason that I say it is an excellent field, is because many employers aren't all that concerned about the qualifications of their sales staff, as long as they can sell. As a matter of fact, some of the most successful sales people in the world never finished high school.

Remember, that as a job seeker, you are a salesperson. Treat yourself as your product. You should know a lot about your product already, but learn even more.

Have you ever watched the fruit sellers on the side of the road? They are some of the best sales people you will ever see. Learn from them.

What do they do? They polish those apples and make sure that the best and shiniest apples are on the top. You need to make sure you do the same. Start by going through this site in detail. Learn how to be a winning candidate. Get your CV looking sharp (how you ask... read this site and use the templates). Make sure you invest in a appropriate outfit. Remember a salesman is often judged on appearance.

Then the fruit sellers hit the streets. They are often there early in the morning and late at night. They are not scared to shout out offering their product. Make sure that you are making a job of finding a job. I can promise you that there are lots of Sales Jobs out there. You have just got to want them badly enough.

And the fruit sellers don't take rejection to heart. One of the most important attributes a salesperson can have is the ability to brush off rejection and have tenacity. If you don't succeed the first few times you go for interviews, try, try and try again. But every time you do, make sure you learn from the experience. Do a post-mortem on the interview and write down what you think you did right, and what you could have improved on. And next time do it better.

Let me wrap up by saying that I think a sales job is one of the noblest careers in existence. Salespeople keep the economy going, and a professional salesperson (and I don't mean a con-artist) is a great choice for a career.

So, I will end by wishing you luck, but you and I both know you don't need luck, all you really need is the burning desire to have it.

Go get it.

Lloyd
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    JobFishing Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: