JobFishing Forum Index JobFishing
JobFishing - mentoring and assisting South African JobSeekers to maximise their chances of finding gainful and exciting employment. This is a free service. Join up now, no hidden costs or obligations.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHERE TO AFTER 16 YEARS IN THE GOVERMENT SECTOR?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    JobFishing Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharmaine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: WHERE TO AFTER 16 YEARS IN THE GOVERMENT SECTOR? Reply with quote

Good day Coach, I am employed in the Government Sector (South African Police Service) since 1991, a whole 16 years and a few months.(TOO LONG).
My CV only reflects my work in the SAPS for the past 16 years and I would like to apply for a job in the private sector (Sales & Marketing or Strategic Management), the problem is OBVIOUSLY - NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE !
My question is this, how can I, a dynamic, innovatative, self motivated and good communicator use such a CV with a "safety & security" background to apply for a job. Nobody is going to take me serious for applying for a position in Sales & Marketing or Strategic Management.

WHAT IS MY SOLUTION? PLEASE HELP!
Lloyd
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sharmaine.

Thanks for your question. The first thing to do is absolutely forget the words "No Experience". That is nonsense. You have 16 years experience in one of the most difficult and trying of circumstances. You just need to know how to relate what you learnt in this job, with what you will be required to do in your next.

Take some time and jot down your job function while you were in the police. Immediately the following jumps to mind:
Dealing with the public
Dealing with difficult customers (can it be harder than in the police?)
Accurate paperwork & report writing
etc etc

Now think about what you need to do in Sales for example.
Deal with the public
Deal with difficult customers
Taking down accurate orders (can we call this paperwork?)

Get the picture? My point is don't think about what you don't have. Think about all the experience you do have and just translate into your dream job. Speak to people who are doing this job and ask them what attributes they need, then think about what you did in the police that prove you have these attributes and highlight them on your CV.

Be positive, an positive things will happen to you.

Regards

Lloyd
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    JobFishing Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: