JobFishing Forum Index JobFishing
JobFishing - mentoring and assisting South African JobSeekers to maximise their chances of finding gainful and exciting employment. This is a free service. Join up now, no hidden costs or obligations.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post interview advise

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    JobFishing Forum Index -> Interview Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niekerk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Post interview advise Reply with quote

Hi Coach

I recently went for an interview at the largest telecoms companies in SA. The interview was scheduled outside normal working hours, and i felt 100% confident when it was complete. I thanked the interviewers (HR and reporting exec) for their time and re-emphasised my interest in the position. I neglected at the time to ask what the next steps are in the process, and when i can expect to hear from them. During the interview i felt by looking at them that the interview went well.

When i got home the PM, i sent the HR lady a thank you note wherein i again re-empasised my interest and keeness.

A few days later i sent her a subsequent e-mail asking her what the next steps were and the timing and she responded by thanking me for the initial thank-you e-mail and to say that they are finalising their decision and that they will communicate to all candicates. I sent her a subsequent e-mail to say thanks for her response and apologised if i came across as too bothersome by my e-mails.

What i really wanna know is, that it's been about a week now and i haven't heard from them.

Any advise in this regard ?
Lloyd
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Post interview advise Reply with quote

Hello again Niekerk

I understand your excitement, and it is good to see your enthusiasm, but I suggest that you be a little patient.

I commend you on sending that thank you letter. So many times candidates forget how important the little things like a thank you are. So well done on doing that.

I fully understand that you are anxious and excited, but remember that things take a little longer in a large company. It is not just one person who makes a decision. A hiring decision is usually made by at least 2 or 3 people and the bigger the company, the more people get involved in the decision and this takes time.

It is always a good thing, when wrapping up an interview the interviewer will probably asks you if you have any questions. This is the best time to ask "Mr X, should you feel that this meeting has been successful and that you would like to take my application further, where do we go from here".

The psychology behind this question is very smart. Firstly, an employer likes to believe that if you get the job offer, you are likely to take it. No one wants to be rejected, even a prospective employer, so in a subtle way, you are basically saying to the employer, "my mind is made up, I think the interview went well and I want to negotiate further". Secondly, the chances are that you will find out what happens next. They are likely to tell you their interviewing schedule so you know when to expect a call.

Lastly, let me give you a final word of advice. Don't wait for one possible job offer. Keep watching the papers and the internet and keep going for interviews. No matter how sure you are that you have done well in the interview, until you sign the acceptance of the offer, anything can happen. So donít wait around Ė keep your options open.

Once you sign however, be a man of your word and stick to it.

Good luck - tight lines.

Lloyd
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    JobFishing Forum Index -> Interview Advice All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: