JobFishing Forum Index JobFishing
JobFishing - mentoring and assisting South African JobSeekers to maximise their chances of finding gainful and exciting employment. This is a free service. Join up now, no hidden costs or obligations.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    JobFishing Forum Index -> Termination, Notice Periods & Resignation.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niekerk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Help please Reply with quote

I recently resigned from a fairly senior position in IT for an organisation, even though i had no new job to go to. My main reason for resignation was that i found the company to be unethical in their business practises and i wanted to do the RIGHT THING. I addressed my dissatisfaction with the MD of the company regarding the practises, but was shunted by other executives for daring to criticise the MD.

I have gone for numerous interviews at larger organisations where my skills is perfect for the roles, but when they want to get a reference from my previous employer, the interviewers calls are not returned which results in me not been taken to the next stage.

How best can i deal with this. I explain this in the interview stage, albeit the fact that it is risky to criticise in an interview my previous employer. I just feel that i need to be honest.

Please someone give me some advise.

Regards.
Lloyd
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Niekerk

Thanks for your question. This is a difficult situation and just before I answer you, and for the benefit of others who may be reading this, this is a very good example of why it is best (if at all possible) to find a new job, before resigning from your current job. Remember that companies won't usually take a reference from your current employer as this could jeopardise your job.

But Niekerk, I understand that in your case, what is done is done, and now we must make the best of it.

I agree with you, it is always best to be honest. But, that having been said, I suggest that you find a way of keeping it positive. Make sure that when you are in the interview, you focus on the positive things that you have learnt at your previous company, areas where you excelled, and what you enjoyed about the company and the job. If you emphasise the positive, then when you have to mention the negative (and don't have to harp on it) then it isn't such a big deal.

Remember that potential employers are looking for solutions to their problems. Although they may love to hear the dirt on their competitors or on other bosses, and they may even encourage you to bad mouth your previous company, in the back of their minds they are wondering if you will ever bad mouth them.

So keep it positive, and show them that you are a solution, and you will find the interviews are much more successful.

Take a moment to read this article.
http://www.jobfishing.co.za/articles/people_dont_buy_things.htm

Kind regards

Lloyd
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    JobFishing Forum Index -> Termination, Notice Periods & Resignation. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: