JobFishing Forum Index JobFishing
JobFishing - mentoring and assisting South African JobSeekers to maximise their chances of finding gainful and exciting employment. This is a free service. Join up now, no hidden costs or obligations.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DESPERATE & FRUSTRATED (I AM NOT TOO OLD!!)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    JobFishing Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bev Coston

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: DESPERATE & FRUSTRATED (I AM NOT TOO OLD!!) Reply with quote

I am actually at my wits end now, I am an Executive Secretary / Personal Assistant - I was retrenched in September 2003 and have been temping since then and cannot get permanent employment. I have put my name down at numerous employment agencies, I have registered on various sites on the internet, I have sent my CV to I don't know how many companies. I actually cannot believe that there is not a permanent job out there for me. I am 50 years old (but a young 50 I must add!!) and I have still got so much to give Crying or Very sad I have been temping at a Financial Institution for 2 years and 2 months now!!! (With no increase and no benefits in that time). Please help - what do I have to do to get a permanent job. Companies I send my CV to don't even give me the benefit of an interview, I think they take one look at my age (even though I do not have my birth date or ID no on my CV) this this can be picked up by when I left school!! One Company that my CV was sent to asked the employment agency not to send them their "left overs" - have you ever!! I have a wealth of experience and am mature but not ready to be "put out to pasture"!!!! Do you have any suggestions?????
Lloyd
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: I am not too old. Reply with quote

Hello Bev,

Thanks for your question. Bev let me start by agreeing with you 100%. You are not to old - of that I can assure you.

The first thing you need to do, is make sure that this objection is the actual objection, and that it isn't just a smoke screen and there is some other reason why you are not getting those job offers. Spend some time going through the rest of this site and then making sure that your CV looks good and sells you, you always include a cover letter in your email, and that when you go for interviews, you dress well and do all the other basics right.

If you are sure that all these are right, then lets discuss how to handle the age situation.

Bev, I recommend that you simply embrace the fact that you are 50. Instead of hiding this fact, simply turn it to your advantage.

Lets think about what will benefit an employer to hire a 50 year old over a 25 year old. For example (and I don't know your situation so please don't take any of these personally, these are just examples):
30 Years experience, No dependants (or at least no young children), Stable (ie not about to head off overseas to go backpacking around Europe for a year). Not likely to show up at work all weepy because your boyfriend dumped you. Less likely to hop from one job to another for a few Rands more. Etc etc.

Now, instead of trying to hide your age, rather include it in your CV - but also in a subtle way, highlight some of these advantages that you have to offer.

I think it is a subconscious thing, but if you try to hide your age, it makes prospective employers wonder why you see it as a negative. They tend to think "What does she know about her age, that I don't, and why is she worried about it?".

Bev - to sum up. As in all sales (and remember when you are job hunting, you are simply selling yourself), the most important thing is to identify "What objections stand in the way of this prospect buying?"
Once you know what the objections are (and you are sure they aren't just smoke screens), then you just need to show the prospect that either the objections are invalid, or else that the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. Once you have done this convincingly, the sale (or in this case the job offer) takes care of itself.

Bev, this is a complex subject, and I want to keep this answer brief, but please feel free to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Lloyd
Lloyd
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: I am not too old. Reply with quote

One more thing Bev.

Have you ever looked at this website? http://www.50skills.co.za/

It is an awesome website built by and for those 50+ people, many of whom have also experience what you have and have embraced it and now shown what an incredible resource this sector of our population is.

Happy surfing Smile

Regards

Lloyd
Bev Coston

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Desperate & Frustrated (I am not too old!) Reply with quote

Good day Lloyd

Thanks for your very prompt reply, much appreciated. I can only think the objection is my age and then of course there is another aspect which I will not go into detail about - which is the EE subject.

I am always presentable so I am sure it is not my appearance (I was PA to the MD of an Insurance Company when I was retrenched).

As you say, I have 30 years experience, I don't have small children to worry about - my baby is almost 30 and my eldest 32 years! I don't intend to go backpacking and I have a happy, stable marriage of nearly 34 years.

And thanks, I did register the week before last on 50skills - that is where I picked this website up from.

Just hold thumbs for me and I will just keep hunting!!

I'm sure we'll communicate again - maybe when I let you know that I have a permanent job!! Laughing

Kind regards
Bev Coston
Lloyd
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Desperate & Frustrated Reply with quote

Hello Bev,

That is the spirit. Just keep a positive attitude, make sure you are doing everything you can to make it easy for them to pick you, and it will happen.

If you want to send me your CV, I will crit it for you and give you some pointers. (You have my email address).

Keep on keeping on.

Lloyd
Bev Coston

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Desperate & Frustrated (Bev) Reply with quote

Hi Lloyd

I do want to send you my CV but I don't have your e-mail address!!
Please let me have it.

Regards
Bev Coston Embarassed
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    JobFishing Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: